Thursday, March 01, 2007

Centro'mere'


Mere Christianity, by C.S. Lewis, is considered by many Christians to be one of two books that all people, Christian or not, should read (the other being More Than a Carpenter). This book was originally a radio broadcast series given by Lewis in Europe as a “radio talk.” This means that it was delivered in a very conversational manner, as if C.S. Lewis was sitting across from you in your living room, in his sweater, holding his cup of coffee while he explains in the in’s and out’s of Christian belief. You can almost hear his voice defending the roots of his faith.

Mr. Lewis writes in his preface, “The reader should be warned that I offer no help to anyone who is hesitating between two Christian ‘denominations’. You will not learn from me whether you ought to become an Anglican, a Methodist, a Presbyterian, or a Roman Catholic…in this book I am not trying to convert anyone to my own position. Ever since I became a Christian I have thought that the best, perhaps the only, service I could do for my unbelieving neighbours was to explain and defend the belief that has been common to nearly all Christians at all times.”

The gist of C.S. Lewis’s book is a cause that I support. He ascends past the petty conflicts that believers of different denominations argue about, and devotes himself to the heart of Christian theology and meaning. I definitely recommend this book to anyone, whether you are an unbeliever looking for straight and honest information about the religion of Christianity, a believer looking to reinforce your faith, or a believer simply looking for deeper meaning. A must read.

No comments: