Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Sweetness

Once again it is that time of year to commemorate my birthing. I never did understand why I always receive such special attention for something that I had nothing to do with. It’s almost as if everyone is apologizing for my coming into the world by paying me a yearly dowry of presents, cake, and a song. When I think about it, I should be giving my parents gifts on my birthday to thank them for a job well done. But I’m certainly not complaining.

Anyway, I wanted to share with you the best part of my birthday this year. Well, actually the best part was the original Nintendo Entertainment System that my wife gave me. But a close second was the cake I ate. Make that…cakes, that I ate. They were, perhaps, the two best cakes I have ever permitted into my mouth, and trust me, I’ve eaten some cake in my day. Chocolate Peanut-butter Brownie and Italian Crème. Need I say more? What made them even more meaningful, was that they were created by my sister, Tracee. Let me tell you just a little about her. She has forgotten more about sports medicine than I’ll ever know, she endured a year in Iraq serving our country as a medic and ambulance driver, and she sings mean version of “A Friend Like Me,” (you’ll have to ask her).

Tracee’s newest passion may be one she excels at the most, and the one that makes me the happiest (besides the singing), and that’s cake making. “Cake making” doesn’t really do it justice, she’s more of a cake artist, incorporating creative vision, detailed sculpting, and a set of unbelievably steady hands. She has something else though, something hard to come by these days. That’s care. She devotes herself to each individual cake, funneling her complete attention so that every detail, from the quality of taste to the personalization of the theme, is achieved with integrity.

You may think that I’m just shamelessly plugging for a family member, but I’ve brought proof. Check out the photos. Tracee is relatively new in this arena and is quickly constructing a respected reputation with a knock-out portfolio. Her schedule is busying rapidly as demand for her services grow.

I must say that I am very proud of my sister. Not just because she’s so good at this, but..well..I guess because she is so good at this. The cakes she designs are truly breath-taking and they just seem to keep getting better. I wish it was my birthday everyday. Leave me a comment if you are interested in contacting Tracee for one of her cakes.






No comments: