Thursday, March 22, 2007

Enter the Sweet 16

Congratulations. You’ve made it through the first two rounds of the Tourney. We are now prepped for the battles of the Sweet 16. I think everybody is doing quite well this year, and I expect the all time high score 136, set by Kelly S, to be topped by the end of the contest. I expect Kris’ winning score from last year, 89, to be topped by the end of this weekend. All brackets, except for Abe’s, still have their tournament winner alive, although that will change after today. It’s time for the big dogs to clash and some will fall, along with your dreams of being etched in Sullivan Bracket Challenge history and of being engraved on the winner’s plaque.

I have to say, Kansas is doing much better this year, actually winning one. The previous two years they’ve fallen to an underdog: Bucknell and Bradley. Now, if Butler makes it to the final four, look for the Jayhawks to go down to the third ‘B’ team in consecutive years.

UNC is fairing much better now that their star inside man, Hansboro is playing without his mask. Did anyone see him in that mask? That’s got to be the worst fitting, oversized thing I’ve ever seen. He looked cross-eyed in that mask. The numbers showed it too. He scored much less and played much worse when he had that suit of armor strapped to his face. All of you who picked UNC to do well better hope he doesn’t get his beak bumped, or he may have to lace up the goalie mask for the remainder of the tourney. If that does happen, look for UNC to struggle.

I think my favorite team now is Oregon. I mean, their the Ducks. Who doesn’t like ducks? I like all kinds of ducks. Daffy, Donald, Huey,…Howard. I also like big fat slow flying green heads who can’t see or hear very well. I know Kevin does, he can hit those.

Well, hears how the rankings shake out:

Rank/Official Points/Games Won Points/Upset Score Points

1 /Kris / 52/ 40 / 149
2 / Rob / 51 / 40 / 153
3 / Michelle / 49 / 37 / 132
3 / Monkey / 49 / 38 / 131
5 / Kevin / 48 / 36 / 124
6 / Chuck / 47 / 35 / 111
6 / Mike / 47 / 36 / 138
8 / Chris / 45 / 35 / 119
9 / Cherie / 44 / 35 / 121
9 / Kelly S / 44 / 34 / 127
11 / Pepa / 43 / 33 / 103
12 / Carol / 42 / 33 / 106
12 / Kelly G / 42 / 33 / 117
14 / Drew / 40 / 30 / 97
15 / Tracee / 35 / 28 / 91
16 / Mema / 33 / 27 / 93
17 / Abe / 26 / 21/ 88

Don’t be discouraged if you are not in the upper tier, and don’t get complacent if you are. This begins the crucial group of games where wins are worth more, and people start to leap-frog each other, either up or down. We shall see after this weekend, who pulls ahead, and who fades away, like my hopes of having an afro.

Kudos to the following for picking all four teams to come out of a regional:
Chris – South
Chuck – West
Drew – South
Kevin – West and South (Kevin’s South bracket is perfect through two rounds)
Kris – South
Michelle – South
Monkey – West
Rob – South (Rob’s South bracket is also perfect through two rounds, hmm, I think he’s copying off of Kevin’s!)

Good luck to you all during the next two rounds and I hope you enjoy the games. I will watch some of the games, when I don’t have the sun warming my shoulders, or my toes in the cool sand, or a fish on the line. LATE!

Bom and Babe

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good words.