Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Pop!

“Of every earthly plan that be known to man, He is unconcerned, He's got plans of His own to set up His throne, When He returns.” Kevin Max When He Returns. I heard this song today, and these words especially spoke to me.

Early this morning, God displayed His sovereignty and graciously bursted my bloated bubble. For the past month or so, my feelings of self importance have steadily grown and grown. At work, at home, and at church, things just seemed to be going my way. God was blessing my every move. However, I am a sinful, fallen, greedy, prideful man, and the responsibilities and temptations that accompany my accomplishments and advancements were too much for me. I was overcome with my pride, and I began to forget who actually allowed me to succeed to my current position. I also began to make my own plans for the future. Nothing too ambitious, I thought, but my own personal plans nonetheless. I think God gets a good chuckle when we humans start to think we are in control.

After hearing the news this morning, I was sincerely disappointed and a little indignant. I was upset that I had been given a promising opportunity, and after I basked in my glory, it was ripped from my hands. Eventually, after I had calmed a little, I began to see God’s loving discipline. I am so thankful for it. Knowing that God only corrects His own children, I have moved from a feeling of unfairness, to one of humility and security. Of course it hurts, but I also feel very warm. He’s reminded me of His love for me and of my eternal goal. “He’s got plans of His own to set up His throne.” What an awesome thought, what an awesome reality, and I truly want to participate in His plan. Humility is the only option. Pride fogs over my view, and keeps me from seeing God’s path.

Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Hebrews 12:1

If this blog sounds like some of my other blogs, you are correct. Its pretty evident that pride is an offer that I have a hard time resisting. Sometimes I think I’ll never learn my lesson. Sheesh.

1 comment:

The Main Family said...

I started to write that I'm sorry for your disappointment, but given your perspective on "God's loving discipline" I guess I'm grateful for it too (in a wish-it-didn't-have-to-be-that-way-but-glad-God-is-seeing-you-through-it kind of way).

"When He Returns" - What a great song! I'm listening to Rance Allen's version right now from the "Gotta Serve Somebody: The Gospel Songs of Bob Dylan" CD.

"Don't you cry and don't you die and don't you burn
For like a thief in the night, He'll replace wrong with right
When He returns."

-Bryan
http://www.bobdylan.com/songs/whenhe.html