Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Plan B


Congress has all but finalized the over-the-counter sale of Plan B, an emergency birth control drug better known as the "morning after” pill. The FDA has sent an approval letter to the manufacturer, Barr Pharmaceuticals, outlining the contract details.
Plan B is a hormone pill similar to that of the daily oral birth control pill. But instead of taking the drug on a regular basis, this pill is only ingested directly after unprotected sex. It is recommended that it be taken within 72 hours of copulation. A second pill is included with Plan B that must be taken 12 hours after the first.
Law makers have put some restrictions on the sale of morning after pill. Barr's first proposal had the drug on convenient store shelves and available for purchase by females fourteen years old or older. The final version, however, states that the drug can only be sold in places where there is a permanent pharmacy present. It will be kept behind the counter and women eighteen or older can buy it with photo I.D.
There are many facets of this issue to consider. I won't get into all of them right now; I'll leave that to you. I've considered many of the implications, and I'm not sold either way yet. I'm not sure what the Bible says about a situation like this, and I welcome and encourage all comments and insight. The one thing that I am surprised about is the noticeable lack of an outcry from the anti-abortion groups. I'm no expert on how the pill works physiologically, and I'm not saying that I would agree with them on this, but I still expect more media and lobbying from those activist groups. Let me know what you think, and if you know of any corresponding scripture, post those as well.

No comments: